IYALODE ALABA OLUWASEUN LAWSON was born on the 18th January 1951 to Papa and Mrs. Emmanuel Abiona Jiboku in Abeokuta. Her father was the late Pa Jiboku (aka Jiboku Tannatanna) of the defunct Electricity Corporation of Nigeria (ECN) and her mother was the daughter of Aderupoko Coker fame of Itesi, Abeokuta.
ALABA had her Primary Education at St. James’s African Primary School, Idi-Ape, Abeokuta, between 1957-1962. From here, she proceeded to Abeokuta Girls’ Grammar School, also known as Anglican Girls’ Grammar School where she obtained the West African School Certificate 1963-1967.
She started her teaching career in 1969 and later left for St. Nicholas Montessori Teachers’ Training College at Prince’s Gate England in 1973 for further studies where she obtained a 1st Class Diploma in Education with distinction. The first African student to be so rated at the institution. A testimonial issued and signed by the co-principals in 1975 attests to this. It reads and I quote:
“MRS LAWSON was outstanding in her ability to master her academic studies. She worked with enthusiasm and intelligence. Therefore, we are sure Mrs. Lawson will make good use of these gifts for the benefits of the Children and Young people in Nigeria. We shall miss her in the College, but we look forward with confidence to hearing about the work she will accomplish”.
- Proprietress of Lawson Group of Schools established in 1977: – (Crèche, Pre-Nursery, Nursery, Primary, Junior School & College).
- Immediate Past President of NACCIMA – 19th but 1st Female National President of Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines & Agriculture – NACCIMA
- 1st Female President – Federation of West African Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FEWACCI).
- Immediate Past Chairman, – Board of Governing Council, Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Ogun State (MAPOLY)
- Past President – Abeokuta Chamber of Commerce
- Past President – Ogun Council of Chambers of Commerce
- Past President – Odu’a Chambers of Commerce
- Global Convener – NACCIMA Business Women Group – NAWORG
- Fellow & Council Member – Institute of Directors – IoD
- Member – Lagos Chamber of Commerce & Industry – LCCI
- Council Member – Nigerian – British Chambers of Commerce – NBCC
- Chairman Board of Trustees – Nigerian Quality Infrastructure Forum – NIQIF
- Matron – Women In Logistic and Transport – WILAT
- Chairman – ABESTONE Microfinance Bank, Commerce House, Ibara, Abeokuta
- 4th Iyalode of Egbaland conferred on her by H.R.M Oba Oyebade Lipede. Alake of Egbaland.
- 1st Iyalode of Yorubaland conferred on her by H.R.M Oba Lamidi Adeyemi – The Alaafin of Oyo Kingdom.